Department Of English
The Post Graduate and Research Department of English, which began its long journey by teaching Foundation English to students across the College in 1948, has grown steadily and is now one of the most reputed Post Graduate and Research Department in the city. The UG course begun in 1962 has been highly successful, always enjoying 100% results and bagging several University Ranks under the non-autonomous stream. The potential of the Department was rapidly recognized and was upgraded first as a PG Department in 1971 and later as a Research Department offering M.Phil. from 1989 and Ph.D. from 1996.
Since the Department was making great strides in the regular stream, there was a growing demand for English Literature. This resulted in the inception of the Self Supporting Department of English in 1987, with two sections of English Literature at the UG Level. Keeping in mind the need for career oriented courses, one section was converted to English and Communication Skills in the academic year 2005 – 2006.
With the Autonomous status being granted to Ethiraj College for Women in 1999, the Department has been constantly widening and changing the syllabus to meet the challenges of the rapidly developing world.